Have you heard about the Florida Department of Health’s Healthiest Weight Florida initiative?
This initiative is a public-private collaboration bringing together state agencies, not for profit organizations, businesses, and entire communities to help Florida’s children and adults make choices about healthy eating and active living.
It was launched in January 2013, with the purpose to help the Department of Health build collaborations and provide assistance to counties, community groups and other partners to implement programs that focus on:
- Increasing the initiation, duration and exclusivity of breastfeeding.
- Promoting improved nutrition and physical activity in early care and education.
- Encouraging improved nutrition in schools.
- Increasing the physical activity for students during the school day and after school programs.
- Increasing access to high-quality, affordable foods in communities.
- Increasing physical activity by improving the built environment in communities.
- Promoting health professional awareness and counseling of patient body mass index (BMI).
By bending the projected BMI (Body Mass Index) curve by just 5% from the current trajectory, hundreds of thousands of new cases of chronic disease can be prevented while saving millions in healthcare costs.
If you would like to know more about this initiative visit: http://www.healthiestweightflorida.com/