Looking for an easy mid-week meal option? Try this quick and easy hearty soup. Fresh spinach, low in calories and high in phytonutrients, protein-packed beans and dashes of cinnamon and cumin make this soup super delish! Add depth with fire-roasted tomatoes, smoked paprika or roasted garlic.
Complete your meal with a hot, crusty whole grain roll.
- 1 15-ounce can low-sodium kidney or navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 24-ounce can low-sodium tomatoes, chopped, undrained
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth, low-sodium
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot stir in first 6 ingredients.
- Heat soup to boiling; reduce heat and simmer 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir spinach into soup. Season to taste with pepper.
- Serves 4.
Nutrition facts per serving: 155 calories, 10 gm protein, 28 gm carbohydrate, 2 gm fat, 0 gm sat fat, 0 gm mono fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 8 gm fiber, 115 mg sodium
FOR THE SEASONED COOK It’s easy to use spinach these days because it comes pre-bagged. Just rinse and cut off the stems. Spinach packs a wallop of beta-carotene and is rich in other vitamins and minerals.
If you’re feeling adventuresome, try experimenting with different type of leafy greens. For milder flavors try spinach, swiss chard, collards, and kale. To spice things up a bit try arugula, mustard, dandelion greens or escarole.