Our bodies were made to MOVE, in fact, we have approximately 206 bones and 640 muscles all perfectly designed to help us move. On top of that research has shown that frequent moderate- to vigorous-intensity activity plays a big role in prevention of cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, some cancers and obesity. The current recommendation for physical activity is 150 minutes a week of moderate-intensity activities for weight maintenance and up to 300 minutes a week for weight loss. This balances out to being active five days a week for about 30 minutes to an hour. Are you reaching this goal?
At this point, many of you are running through a list of reasons this just isn’t possible in your schedule. But, why not look at it a little differently… HOW could it be possible? First, write down your list of why you can’t be active – be honest, ruthlessly honest! Now put your list down.
Second, take a breath and think about where you are and where you want to be. This is your moment to make some decisions. When you are ready look at your list again, put an X next to the things you feel you can’t change and underline the things you feel you can change.
Things to think about:
- If time is on your list – you can break your activity up and do 10 to 20 minutes morning, noon and night.
- If you want to spend more time with your family is on your list – you could do something active together (good for you and good for them).
- If you don’t know how – start with something easy, like walking. It doesn’t have to be difficult.
- If it’s too hot outside – what can you do inside or earlier in the day?
- If you’re too tired – being more active can actually help give you more energy
- If you come across something that you don’t know how to overcome, but want to – ASK for ideas.
Third, change one or more of the items on your list and start being more active. Unfortunately this is something you have to do for yourself; no one else can be active for you without keeping all of the benefits for themselves. It may seem overwhelming at first to change your current routine, but you can do it!
Let us know -
- Have you made the change to be more active? What did you do to be successful?
- Need ideas to help you reach your goal? We can help with that too!
Want more advice now? Check this out