Blueberry Garlic Sauce and Salmon
This recipe is not only delicious but extremely nutritious AND easy! Blueberries are a great source of antioxidants and vitamins C, E, riboflavin, niacin, and folate. What more could you want?!
Serving size: 4 ounce filet and 1/4 cup of sauce
- 4 4-ounce fresh or frozen skinless salmon fillets
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- Snipped fresh chives (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Sprinkle salmon filets with pepper, place on nonstick baking sheet and then into the oven; check after 7 minutes. Salmon is done when just firm to the touch.
- For sauce: In a small saucepan, sauté onion and garlic in hot oil for about 3 minutes or until softened. Add blueberries, vinegar, brown sugar and lemon peel. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes or until sauce has thickened and reduced to 1 cup.
- Serve with blueberry sauce over salmon. If desired, sprinkle with chives. Make it a complete meal with steamed vegetables and wild rice.
- Experiment with other fruits such as strawberries or pineapple.
- Save extra sauce (if you have it) to dress up tomorrow’s lunch – add to a salad, yogurt or a wrap.
Nutrition Per serving: 268 calories, 13 g fat (3 g sat fat), 22 g protein, 15 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 63 mg sodium, 61 mg cholesterol.Leave a reply