- 100g baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup firmly packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbs toasted slivered almonds
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 375g short pasta shapes (e.g. penne, fusilli, orrechiette)
- 250g punnet small cherry tomatoes, halved
- To make spinach pesto, place spinach, basil, almonds and garlic in a food processor. Process until finely chopped. Add oil and parmesan. Process to form a thick paste.
- Cook pasta in a large, deep pan of boiling water for 10 to 12 minutes or until just tender (al dente). Drain and return to same pan.
- Add spinach pesto to pasta. Stir over low-medium heat until pasta is coated with pesto and heated through.
- Stir in tomatoes. Serve hot.
Tips: To toast slivered almonds, spread over an oven tray. Bake in a moderate oven (180C) for 3-5 minutes until light golden. This pasta is also delicious served cold. Keep covered in refrigerator for up to 2 days. Great for school or office lunches.
Tasks for kids: Add ingredients to food processor for pesto (Step 1).
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Recipe courtesy of: HealthyKidsLeave a reply